Every professional in his or her life time undergoes the process of joining a new profile within an organization. While it brings in high levels of excitement, there is a lot of anticipation related to it. A few years back with the traditional recruitment process, after joining an organization, people used to concentrate on first impression strategy towards reporting managers and team. In recent times, this has gone a bit further with modern day recruitment and selection. You should keep in mind that recruitment agencies who undertake the hiring process also stay in touch with the organization and its concerned employees who are associated with the new recruit. They keep a constant flow of feedback and opinion from the reporting managers and related people. So, as you look in to creating a good impression, you have to keep the point of feedback of the recruitment agencies in mind as well. Hence, we give to you a list of do’s and don’ts during the first few days of your new employment.
- Keep calm. As it may sound off beat but it’s true. No one expects you to perform right from day one. They will not give you a ton of work. The first week goes around orientation program and paperwork. Spend a certain time familiarizing with the environment and employees under or with whom you will be working. This is a good start to understand the work culture and flow of certain things.
- Emotional preparation is essential when you are in for a job change. So it is better that you keep a gap between leaving the old workplace and joining the new one. Don’t rush yourself from one place to another. It increases unwanted stress.
- Although many research about work culture within an organization during interview preps, it is better to do so once more before you join by talking to the regular employees.
- Initial days are very important towards image building. So proper grooming and dress up is crucial.
- The recess time is a good way to interact with other people. It is better to use that time to break the ice.
- Lastly, positive attitude towards work along with enthusiasm towards new tasks is essential. Smaller details like punctuality, extending a helping hand without being asked and team play attitude goes a long way towards career building.
While we talked about the things to follow, there are certain stuffs which should be off limits.
- Do not show an attitude that depicts that you know it all. Even if you know how to do a particular task, if a person is explaining, try to be attentive and involved in the session.
- It is understandable that new place and new people can be uncomfortable at times. But complaining on that issue right at the first few days is very unethical. Try to be a bit more considerate and understanding.
- Do not show that you are too naive to understand what exactly you should do. Some things need to be figured out on your own.
- Lastly do not fall in to informal group discussions that direct towards the company issues or any person in particular. You never know you may be marked as a problem creator.
If you do not have job satisfaction on your current job, then it is very difficult for you concentrate on your job role. It is very important to have job satisfaction and this will lead to a better work life. You need to really follow your satisfaction level and this will give you excellent service. So, you should always look into the core values of your job role because this will actually give you a better way to understand your job and help you to give 100% satisfaction on your job. This will actually fulfil your desire and you need to understand what are your work values.
Values are basically your ideas and beliefs that you need to preserve and these values will guide you to take actions. Honesty, self respect, peace, service, empathy and success are the work values that one should follow to the job. It will help them to grow and in a way it will create impact on your personal image. Hence, it is really important to maintain these challenging work and one should definitely find a great result. So, you should know the difference between the intrinsic and extrinsic work values:
In intrinsic value, one has to focus on actual task, take the challenge of the job, help others and be a leader. In extrinsic value, one can include job security, earnings and recognition. To determine your work value, you need to use a tool that will actually help you understand what are the work value tools. They are really good and effective to make you understand what are your work values.
Achievement– Do the work that will give result.
Independence– work and make decision on your own.
Recognition– Receive attention for your work.
Relationship– keep good relationship with colleagues.
Support– good and supportive management team.
Working condition– work environment with positive attitude.
Job security– probability that one remain employed at office.
Compensation– receive good amount of payment.
Creativity– using own ideas.
Artistic expression– express one’s talent at work.
Influence– ability to convince your ideas to others.
When you pass through Recruitment and Selection process, you need to focus on these work values because they will shape you as a work professional and in a way, it will give you the confidence to work and fulfil your requirement to work these values are really important for you to grab the attention and enjoy your professionalism to the best.
One fact with which we all agree is that all major industries are facing skill crunch where the even the top most companies are unable to find the kind of talent or caliber they look for. Our interactions with the hiring managers have shown that through a typical recruitment process they are able to find good pool of potential candidate but still a lot has to be changed to bring on the Best Candidate in an efficient way and time.
But figuring out what has to be changed is still needs more understanding and debate.
Some of the areas which I feel can be focused to change the Recruitment Process.
- The Big Change: we stress that we need make the Big Technology change. Agreed that we have been able to make a huge transformation by bringing data management on cloud and improvising on the processes through technology. But now what actually is required is bringing in Stakeholder Engagement and Communication on a common platform. We need to build direct interactions with the potential candidates where more than their resumes their past performance and future potential can speak. The recruitment consultants can evaluate candidates on not just resumes but what the candidate actually holds. So we have to think of a technological change that can bring in direct and live interface between the stakeholders
- Tell your story: Nothing sells more than a story. We all somewhere or the other love a story where we picture ourselves in that story. Similarly even for a job potential candidates must be shown how this specific story is meant for them. We need a mindset change from “I need a job” to “we need you” whenever we are competing for top talent. Whenever candidates are coming for the interview the hiring managers should tell them the story why they will be perfect for the job and how their skills can be essential.
- Look for permutation and combination: Try out for new type of skills and experience that they think can click and bring our desired results. We may always not succeed 100% but definitely can increase our success bracket. A whole new ingredient can change a dish taste so why not testing the new skills.
- All about building relations: Recruitment is known to be a People industry where every day we build relations. So the focus should be on building these relations as the best relations. We need to start defining what we want from our customer experience be it client or candidate. This will definitely improve the mindset and can further define our SWOT Analysis.
- Data Analysis: The industry holds the real time data of people with their past history. So we in the industry domain should think of utilizing this data for better evaluation. The data present with the industry is still un-utilized to a large extent and the industry is still figuring the best possible ways to utilize the data to the maximum.
Recruitment services have climbed up the charts of popularity in recent years. Every company and business across industry domains have sought for professional recruitment services across the globe. Effective and talented individuals are needed in every part of operation and management for effectual growth of any organization. As per the global trends last year, as the global economy is on the rise, the recruitment services are largely asked for by companies. Previously, finding talented individuals was easy and it mostly happened through personal networks. But over the past four to five years this method has proved to be inadequate.
In the current business scenario, the talent acquisition has become a different game. Presently, the main source of talent search is based on social networking professional sites. Career websites are also on the rises which have a rich access to the talent database as job seekers actively update their profiles and resumes in such websites. Recruitment process has also become complex and cost sensitive. The recruitment process it not just finding a suitable candidate, it is a multifaceted process of various stages. Firstly, a thorough research and understanding on the job profile is required for which the candidates will be selected. It includes various parameters like the qualification, past experience, professional background and such like. The second step is going through the pool of candidate database while keeping in mind the detailed research of the job profile and short listing a set of candidates. Thirdly, conducting a screening to understand the candidate profile is crucial. The next step is to perform a formal interview through a suitable mode of communication for the final selection and negotiation on the compensation grounds. Lastly, the on boarding of the candidate in to the system is the final and completion step. All these stages require the support of experienced and professional team who can perform each and every step with perfection. But maintaining such a team within a business requires considerable investment and is pretty cost sensitive in nature. Hence, businesses are now opting for recruitment services provided by international recruitment firms. The recruitment firms are known for providing all round hiring services from job profile understanding to on boarding of the candidate. This poses to be a cost effective solution to most companies. The companies do not need to hire a team for the entire recruitment process and also the chances of suitable candidate hiring increases as these recruitment firms have access to or maintain a large database of resumes and profiles themselves.
Thus with modern day approach of outsourcing the recruitment services, the companies are benefitting from reduced operational costs and greater productivity.
Social Media Recruitment refers to the approach of recruitment which involves social media platforms for job posting in order to attract candidates, communicating the ideal professionals and building up the talent pool. Social media platforms are the best medium of exposure as in recent times due to affordable smartphones and mobile internet facility; people are more active on such platforms than any other forums. The gaining of insight regarding the brand as well as opening is pretty common through such platforms. Hence, the prominent social media recruiting strategies that can be utilized for an effective selection process are as follows.
- First platform in our list that can be very effective towards reaching out to candidates is the use of hashtags in Twitter. But the recruitment professionals need to know the reach and popularity of certain hashtags in order to make the most of it. In order to stand out, using the city name with the job posting hashtag creates a separate as well as recognizable identity. Tools such as Hashtracking and TweetBinder can be very helpful in this front.
- The employees need to be encouraged to tweet the job openings on their profiles. This helps in reaching out to personal networks which can be effective towards finding more efficient candidates.
- Linkedin is best professional network that can be utilized for the recruitment purpose. There is a paid product available in the platform known as the LinkedIn Recruiter which influences candidate search process in a positive manner. In relation to recent account activity, there is a matching algorithm within the platform that provides the best match for the job. It can be an important tool towards social media strategy.
- Linkedin Groups is another segment or functionality that can be used for candidate locating. These groups can be the best source of networking on this platform. Company branding on this platform is very helpful in creating impression amongst these groups. It is essential to attract the right candidate profiles for better selection.
- Facebook might seem very informal social media platform to many, but it is to be remembered that it has the widest reach within every market and location. If the Facebook search feature is utilized in the right manner then it can be effective towards finding the right candidate profiles within a short period of time and even the contacted very easily and effectively through the same.
- Facebook also provides the paid advertising feature that can be used for the recruitment purpose.
Thus social media recruitment plays an important role in the hiring process. It is the medium of easy access and reach within the network. So it needs ne utilized in a structured manner for optimum benefits in the recruitment front.
Entering in to the professional world is a big leap in an individual’s life. We all know that it is one of the most crucial steps that you take towards deciding the professional segment that you want to proceed with. It is the first step towards structuring your career in the long run. While many go on self help mode and start applying for jobs on their own. We can advise you to take a constructive step in this front that will help you to a leap in this regard and stay ahead in the competition. Taking the help of a recruitment consultancy can help you gain a forward edge from others. The corresponding benefits of the consultancy are as follows.
- The first and foremost advantage which you get when you get associated with a consultancy is that, they have a wider exposure of job opportunities available in a particular industry and location. Sometimes, there are opportunities available within the internal circles which are not advertised in the outer platforms. Your profile can end up for such exclusive positions if you get in touch with a consultancy.
- Such firms help you frame your career in a more organized manner. If you are a fresher, then it is quite likely possible that you will not have the complete picture of the labor market for a specific industry. Such firms can give you a detailed insight of the same and advise you regarding the possible career profile available within a segment.
- Randomly applying for jobs may not be a good idea if you are looking in to serious job hunting conditions. In such type of approach you will have to wait for longer period of time and the chances of profile selection is very little. With the assistance of the consultancy your profile lands up with the most effective position considerations and chances of getting an interview call increases significantly.
- Getting in partnership with a consultancy helps to build up relationships. This improves the networking of the person. If you are in need for a job on an urgent basis then this type of networking can be very fruitful towards quicker recruitment.
With so many benefits, it is also essential to remember certain factors while considering a recruitment consultancy.
- Do check for the area for expertise for such agencies. If your field is a specific with certain special skill sets then this initiative is very important towards your career growth.
- If you are associated with more than one consultancy then do remember to inform the consultancies to take your consent before submitting your profile for a position. It might happen that your CV ends up twice with the employer from two different agencies. It is not a good impression for the profile.
- If you are not very confident about your resume, then it is better to ask for assistance from these consultancies in order to stand out in the crowd.
Traditional recruitment process has taken a back seat in recent times. With new trends influencing every industry across the globe, technology has advanced steadily that has impacted growth of every segment. With this the recruitment process has also remodelled itself to meet the increasing demand for candidate sourcing. It is no more about the experience and gut feeling of the hiring manager. The hiring process and candidates have been quantified with the help of certain parameters. Hence the performance of the recruiters can now be measured and evaluated based on below factors.
- The first and foremost parameter that forms the basis of the recruitment success and effectiveness is the time to hire factor. It is the time span that is taken up by a recruiter for bringing in the candidate onboard. The duration is counted from the time the job posting goes live across various platforms to the successful placement of the candidates. Organizations which have a strong talent management process usually have the lowest time to hire quotient.
- Next factor to consider is the sourcing channel. The conventional sources such as job portals and normal company database wherein candidates drop in their resume are no more sufficient to indentify talents. Recruiters need to build up their own network of talent sourcing which may include personal channels, following up with the referrals and a strong reaching out ability to the passive candidates. The third scenario is the toughest to handle as these candidates are not looking out for job change. Convincing them to the selection process and finally placing the offer is a strategic work that requires proper planning and discussion.
- Next in line is the cost of hire. It includes the compensation and other benefits that are offered to the candidate. There are a few to things to consider in this case. In case of technical professionals where the skill availability is less, it is obvious that the demand for compensation will rise. But the recruiter needs to understand the budget and work accordingly in order to retain the candidate as well as sustain the company benefit.
- Just recruitment of a resource now days are not enough to add value to the workforce. The recruiter needs to identify a resource that can adjust with the company work environment and connects with the brand so that learning and development investment of the company gets paid off.
- The ratio of the current vacancies versus positions filled for a particular time period is a good parameter for recruiter ability judgement. It can either be measured monthly or quarterly depending on the company policy.
- Offer acceptance ratio is another factor that reflects the performance of the recruiter in terms of convincing the candidate regarding the positions. It needs to be performed from the sales point of view for effective results.
- Lastly, the gender mix should be considered for performance evaluation. Workforce diversity is an important aspect of employee base for every organization and that can be looked upon through this parameter.
The recruitment industry constantly faces the challenge to find the right talent with right functionality. Due to diversification of the industries and domains, there is a massive requirement of niche and top notch professionals who have the knowledge about recent industry trends and technological innovations. But sourcing of such talents has become a tedious task for the recruitment firms and hiring managers. However, the new concept of recruitment funnel has evolved in recent times that can source the talented candidates through a steady pipeline. The framework of recruitment funnel involves five major steps, namely, Employment Brand, Sourcing, Candidate Experience, Candidate Selection and Insight.
- Employment Branding refers to the company’s exposure as an employer in terms of work environment, compensation, employee benefits and such like. The unemployment is at its lowest rate in current times. One needs to understand that candidates now have multiple opportunities at hand when they consider employment. According to published sources, 56% employers who have a strong employment branding usually are preferred by candidates. So it is essential to keep track of a company’s brand value in terms of a recruiter. Based on this research a detailed layout of Employee Value Proposition should be structured and implemented within the organization.
- Next is a highly effective sourcing process. Two major trends currently making rounds in the recruitment industry are tight labour market and multiple opportunities leading to high iteration rate. It has been observed that millennial altered their employment 15 to 20 times in their entire career. Hence the sourcing process should be dynamic in order to retain and engage the existing talent in a positive manner. Application Tracking System (ATS) is an effective approach for this initiative.
- After taking up the first two initiatives, there is a need to build up the candidate experience in terms of brand knowledge. The content that is available on social media platforms, job boards and professional networks are a good source of interaction with the candidates. Some part of social media interaction is covered during sourcing, so it better to concentrate on application and interview process during this stage. The job posting should be structured in a way that represents a lucrative offer for the candidates. The application process should be made convenient and multichannel at the same time. Candidates should be able to apply for the job on the go especially through mobile phones.
- Candidate selection process should be streamlined. One of the first pointers to note is that whether the resume is coming in with a cover letter. This shows the seriousness of the candidate as well as highlighted achievements relevant to the job role. Various online tools are present that can evaluate the technical and soft skills of the candidate before calling in for a face to face interview round.
- The last stage of the funnel is gaining Insight. The market and industry need to be regularly monitored in order to tweak the recruitment model according to trend changes.
Team building is commonly referred to as recruitment of certain individuals who will collectively work towards achieving a specific set of tasks and projects. But the actual interpretation of this concept is way different. In actual terms it is referred to as a set of activities undertaken by an organization towards development of social interactions and communication within teams as well as other work groups. It mostly involves collective activities which can be related to the work or sometimes fun and creative activities as well. It is a type of training that improves the functionality and efficiency of a team to a significant level. The importance of this approach is as follows.
- The activities conducted under team building initiative primarily helps in improving the communication levels between individuals within work groups as well as other teams’ members. This improves the work environment to a great extent by making the work culture friendly and informative at the same time.
- As per research it has been observed that people tend to generate more creative ideas and contribute proactively within work environment when they are comfortable among their team members. Hence team building activities are a direct contributor towards generation of innovation and creativity.
- It motivates people towards building up the team spirit which increase the fun of work and celebration of a successful project.
- It generates a healthy competitive environment where in people strive for the best in a way that show cases their talent and contribution that becomes the source of others inspiration as well.
- It helps in indentifying the strengths and weaknesses within a team. In this way it aids in striking the right balance of skill sets that is essential towards project management and boosting the performance of the team as a whole. It is a direct contributor of productivity increase and performance enhancement.
- Channelizing information within team members increase the flow of information and facilitates knowledge sharing that helps in better management. Team building is a positive initiative towards building this approach.
With this, it is essential to keep certain elements in mind while conducting team building activities.
- Even before deciding on the team building activities, the objectives should be clearly laid out for the same. There should be clear indicators and bench marks for this type of approach. A leader role should also be nominated beforehand so that, he or she can supervise the entire process systematically.
- Commitment is an essential element in this regard. One should understand that this initiative is not for personal rewards and benefits only. It is rather a team approach to gain insight and rewards collectively.
- Communication as mentioned earlier is the key to success in team building initiative. The participating individuals should have the clear understanding of the initiative, its purpose and end result in order to gain desirable results.
- Lastly, rewards and appreciation is essential in this case. It helps in building up the confidence, urge to perform and give the best.
Human Resource and Talent Acquisition forms the most essential part of an organization’s function. While organization use sourcing avenues like Employee Referral, Job Portals, Recruiting Agencies to find suitable Talent, the latest trend is hiring through social media. The current trends in digital recruitment marketing reinforce the idea that candidates have to be on major social media channels like Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn. This is, however, a trend that might not last long. Looking for jobs or candidates on what are considered alternative social media networks might yield better results.
There is really high competition for finding your company or you as a candidate on major social media networks as everyone else is there. Especially for tech-savvy or specialist roles in your industry, going to specific networks is a better plan. As far as Indian context is concern, there are multiple views presented by experts about which particular platform is actually leading the way but one thing is for sure, “Social Media Recruitment” has actually taken off and Indians have accepted this with open hearts. What favors the use of social media in Indian context is the personalization factor which is the crux of communication through social media channels.
Considering the other end of horizon, even job seekers have understood the importance of social media in getting new jobs. Social media tools and social networking sites have revolutionized communication methods, both privately and increasingly, at work.
Communication through social media involves the use of an online platform or website (a social networking site) that enables people to communicate, usually for a social purpose, through a variety of services, most of which are web-based and offer opportunities for people to interact over the internet, e.g. via e-mail and ‘instant messaging’ (a form of real-time, direct text-based communication between two or more people using personal computers or other devices).
The Benefits of Using Social Media in Hiring
Candidate Quality – Those who frequently use social networks may be the highly desirable “early adopters”. This source may identify higher-quality candidates (including those who are more technically savvy and innovative). Note: The simple act of listing the primary source (that generated the resume) on the top corner of every resume will, over time, educate hiring managers and eventually lead them to shift their recruiting efforts toward sources that appear most frequently on their short list.
Hidden Candidates – The perfect candidates for your position may not be actively looking for a new job. Networking through social media can help to identify qualified candidates who cannot be found or successfully messaged using other sources.
Candidate Diversity – Social media may assist in identifying a higher percentage of qualified diverse candidates in managerial and professional jobs.
Cost per hire — The recruiting-related transactional costs can be significantly lower compared to other sources.
Employer Brand – Social media sites increase your visibility as an employer and significantly improves your leading-edge employer brand image among targeted prospects (even if the image-building it doesn’t result in immediate applications).