At the time of industrialization human resource management was limited to the managing of labour wages and relations in respect to total hours of working and the quantity of work done. With the rising industrial disputes and formation trade unions it was realized that minimum working wages, standard working hours, workers leaves policy, minimum standard of health and safety was the prime agenda. Here the prime focus of any company’s HR policies was on managing the new organized labour.
Post the agricultural and the industrialization phase came the service economy. Here a paradigm shift was witness where the assessment of labour was not just done on the quantity but the quality of work done. So as a society we moved away from shop floor work to white collar and pink collar jobs. This economy pushed companies in search for new skills that can expand their consumers’ reachability, engage technology and identify those employers that can create and manage technology innovation. Finding and retaining such talent gave rise of Human Resource as a full-fledged separate company’s department whose role was to identify, hire and retain the right talent. Moreover this brought restructuring of HR policies where employers’ benefits were planned in respect to financial increment, bonus, hierarchical upgradation and performance in respect to sales and targets achieved.
Rising consumerism and emergence of various industries other than manufacturing such as banking, tourism, information technology, healthcare and consumer retailing services etc. demanded the change in ideology from ‘people in need of good company’ to ‘companies in need of good people’. The rise of people as an important stakeholder of businesses made human resource managers define policies through culture, system, process and structure in respect to equal opportunity for all, constructive working environment, promotion of individual and team work, empowerment through capacity building programs and quality of work in respect to satisfaction level. For this the HR team closely worked with communication, finance, IT and operations team to bring effective implementation of these policies.
Today, companies have realized that people as their brand managers, promoters of social responsibility, channel of consumer satisfaction and growth. This has led towards a step further where HR policies are being expanded to even employees families and special occasions in their lives where health & educational benefits, child day care facilities for working women, reframing of maternal benefits for both the parents, extended leave policies, flexible work timings, opportunities for the employees to explore their personal passion with the professional lives and some companies are even offering on-job sleeping and break taking initiatives to maintain the overall conducive environment.
The role of human resource personnel has also expanded where they are not only the communication channel between company’s management and employees but also between employees and company’s management thereby defining HR as people management process. Gamification is another emerging tool in recent times where not just training but company’s vision & mission, sales targets, employees’ growth and even expectation level of both company and employees are being managed.
To keep pace with the changing economies, social thought process and political geographies it has become necessary for companies to continuously redefine and innovative on their HR policies as only then they can map out their future strategies and implement present projects.
The employment market has become stiffly competitive with rising corporate demand and changing industry and market trends. When companies are involving new concepts such as workforce diversity, human resource management system, application tracking system in to the HR segment, it becomes essential for the professional to prepare themselves for the upcoming competitive market. So it becomes essential to evolve as a purpose driven professional in order to secure the job profile as well as increase the boundary of performance to retain the position. There are few measures to consider in this case which are as follows.
- The first step towards this approach is to choose a career opportunity which influences your potential and shows your capabilities to the fullest. It is basically selecting a career path that you really want to get involved with rather than just a family or environment condition. In this way you will enjoy your work and flourish in your profile.
- After you join a company do not restrict your knowledge gain to the company day to day work process. Reading about what goes on in the segment you are associated with broadens the horizon of your knowledge. Get in to workshops and seminars that are associated with your field in order to gain insight and it is sure to reflect in your performance that helps in your career growth the long run.
- During intermediate break time, indulge in small discussions regarding the industry or current affairs related your industry with team members or managers. You will be able to gain useful insights through these discussions and your senior take notice of your interest and involvement.
- While it is good to involve yourself at work, but that does not mean that you work day and night and forget about your personal life. While many professional make this common mistake that working late hours actually counts towards your dedication. But in most cases it is the opposite. It might appear that you are incapable of completing your work within office hours and slogging late after work. This impression is not good especially when you are new in a company.
- Do not restrict yourself to your job profile only. Keep an interest on other responsibilities that are handled by other people within your team. This shows your interest towards contributing to the internal processes of the team and company.
- Motivation is a good way to create a positive vibe within the team. It is always beneficial to willingly extend help towards team members for certain tasks. This recognizes your skill set that is rare within the team and your attitude towards team play and motivation.
- Lastly, creative thinking is a positive approach towards building up the purpose driven professional image. It not only helps in showcasing your abilities in your current job role but also open up opportunities for future decision making responsibilities.
The competition is intense and purpose driven professionalism is a perfect way to ensure career growth in the long run.
With overall changes in the economic and business contours the role of Human Resource is also rapidly evolving with market dynamics. The market trends tend to influence the processes of HR significantly wherein the demand and supply, available skill sets, compensation parameters, strategies for adoption are crucially defined by the market. Therefore, it is crucial to involve the HR in strategy planning so as to maintain workforce related matters in line with business needs and vice versa. With constant changes in the market the role of HR consultants becomes imperative to suggest candidates that can partner in growth.
At GlobalHunt, we understand the need of the hour where businesses are required to align their operations with its People calibre and potential. Hence, GlobalHunt India Pvt Ltd as a leading HR Consulting organization has been playing an instrumental role in building diversity for its clients by providing the Talent that is best suited for their growth. Our team of consultants work as a subject matter experts where they understand the values and culture of clients but also define the qualities of an ideal candidate which he or she must possess to fit the business role.
Our search consultants understands that HR domain is no longer existing in an exclusive space which is implicating traditional role of payroll management, employee engagement and culture, on-boarding and paperwork. Rather, in contemporary times HR experts are included in the business strategy meets to discuss and develop products and services that can gain consumer attention.
The HR domain largely revolves around PEOPLE where people behaviour holds an important place. The new workforce culture focuses more on building an overall employees and consumer brand which caters the demand of consumers and is known for employee’s satisfaction. Thus, these days the HR process is becoming a two way process where behaviour management of both employees and consumers is becoming important. Our consultants work towards forwarding the brand values to the new candidates for better results.
Cyber security has been a key concern influencing market dynamics. Consumers are concerned over trusting brands in terms of personal data while choosing the services. Brands have been investing heavily towards protecting consumer data in order to strengthen customer base and attract fresh ones. While this is the outside scenario, similar issues concern within the organization as well. HR consultants need to advice and guide employees towards understanding cyber attacks and data thefts and educate them to protect sensitive information which might affect business goals if in wrong hands.
Understanding market dynamics with respect to talent availability is essential for the recruitment process. One of the important situation at hand for most brands is that generation x or baby boomers are on the stage of retirement in the coming years. Hence the millennial generation need to take over across managerial and leadership roles. HR consultants need to understand the market conditions and propose candidates who can take over the reins after proper knowledge sharing and guidance. Similarly, new technologies are coming up quite frequently. Hiring professionals who can adapt to such changes and deliver accordingly is crucial for business growth and crisis management. There are other factors like problem solving abilities, creativity, team work and soft skills to look in to as well.