There is no smoke without fire.
If we go by this saying rumours might not be completely baseless as they might hold some truth in them. Rumours is something which is part and parcel of our everyday life, both personal and professional.
Whether it’s about a class mate, colleague or about or current/previous organization we tend to hear about these rumours and form our perception about an issue. True or false rumours do frame a particular line of thinking where it effects one consciousness.
When we speak of organization rumours we need to understand the nature of these rumors and to the extent they are affecting the brand image. It should always be remembered that rumors spread much faster than the information shared through company’s communication channel. Also whether to ignore or address these rumours must depend on the nature of the rumour.
For e.g. if a rumour is based on an important information which is yet to be announced to the employees or the stakeholders then such rumours have the tendency to impact the brand image in a negative way. It is usually the information meant for public and private stakeholders such as mergers or acquisition, changes in business strategy, bad exit or any other negative case tend to tarnish the image. So in such situations the responsible teams should be active to handle queries, clear out confusions and provide adequate and honest knowledge to the stakeholders involved. Such rumours may also lead to involvement of the Senior Teams at times.
Another e.g. of rumours which usually involves internal misunderstanding, miscommunications or conflicts then in such cases the managers should be addressing such rumours within their teams and operational areas to maintain a positive environment. They should pay attention to the periodic disruptions that lead to such rumours and try to resolve the issue before it takes a potential surface.
But whatever, the case is rumours are unavoidable and unpreventable so the organizations should be apt to deal with rumours. So in such cases, crucial departments such as HR, Communication, PR, Finance, Sales etc. should be brand endorsers. Even in the most hard situation they should bring out the positive attitude and thinking of the company and rule out the negativity. The team should focus on what benefits or the gaining experience the organization provides as compared to others than getting along with the rumours.
There has been a lot of discussion around company branding in recent times. Experts and professionals have talked about company’s brand image in the market and industry which has been established to contribute significantly towards revenue generation, employment opportunities, reaching out to customers, attracting fresh consumer base, attracting candidate profiles and so on. But there is another element that has gained momentum in recent times which is known as the talent branding. This becomes significant when a company enters the recruitment phase. Talent branding essentially refers to the opinions and viewpoints of current and previous employees of an organization. The most common source of information for this segment is the online forums and portals wherein individuals share their experience at the time of employment with a particular brand. Even the candidates who have appeared for interview and selection process for a company are important source of talent branding. While it is a cumulative effort of the organization towards building up of talent brand, the HR and the marketing segment have the major responsibility towards this initiative. The importance of talent branding is as follows: –
- Today every company is looking out for top notch professionals who can add to the skill set enhancement of the organization. With technology rapidly evolving at a very fast pace, the need for experienced professionals for operational and production processes become very important. But in most cases it is found that these top notch professionals are passive candidates who are not looking out for employment opportunities proactively. If a company has a strong talent branding back up then it is possible to engage these professionals in the selection process.
- Talent branding is a major contributor towards retention of the existing workforce. When the new recruitments are made, the individuals perform a certain level of research on the company through online forums. The talent branding helps in creating a positive image in front of the candidate. So after the selection process, such individuals have better chances of staying with the company than others. It helps in reducing any potential mismatch on expectation from the employer as well as the employee end.
- Talent branding has been known to generate better referrals from the employees and external sources. The normal psychology is that when employees are happy to work in an environment that is motivating and productive at the same time, they spread the word in their network. Mostly the social media platforms are the popular places where they share their experience. This brings in relevant profiles at the time of recruitment which is in line with the company culture. Talent branding adds to the cause in a productive way.
- Lastly, it is a mechanism that helps in controlling the reputation of the brand in a more structured manner. It is obvious that a company cannot have 100% positive reviews. The terminated employees tend to post negative feedback about the brand. If the company has strong talent branding mechanism, this situation can be handled with ease.
HR management is an important segment of any business. It looks after a number of areas which aids in smooth functioning of the system as a whole. Looking in to the hiring of new employees, salary related issues and concerns, leave counts and timings form the integral part of HR management. But with the change of time, there are many other concerns which are also becoming a part of it. This has resulted in a new discussion forum among the associated people. We list down a few which are among the significant of all.
- Maintaining a healthy work environment is very important for the proper business functioning. This includes the behavioral aspect as well. Mistreatment of employees from an individual and infringement of rules and regulations forms a critical issue from HR perspective. Dealing with such a scenario is both tricky and sensitive. In such cases, a thorough investigation has to be performed of the entire incident or series of incidents at first. Based on the investigation, the next sequence of actions is to be performed like, listening to the guilty individual and taking actions based on the same which may be verbal warning, written warning, suspension or termination depending on the severity of the issue.
- Personality development and management is performed as a training course in many companies now days. In some cases, it has been noticed that the attitude of an individual sometimes affects the mindset of the entire team. This is a very delicate matter as it might be the case that the individual himself or herself does not understand the situation. In such cases, HR management has to approach the employee through discussions to make him or her aware on the issue. Furthermore, the trainings and sessions can be held to address the subject.
- Whistle Blowing Policy is currently one of important aspects of HR. A person who reports any activity which is harmful for the organization, its image, employees or is illegal in some form is known as a whistle blower. The activities reported under this policy are related to legal issues, misconduct, theft of company resources and such like. The confidentiality and retaliation are the key aspects of whistle blowing policy. In most cases the identity of the reporting person is kept discreet in order to protect them against any harm. However in certain cases this cannot be done for the investigation purpose. The HR segment plays a key role towards successful implementation and maintenance of the policy.
- Conflicts within teams results in disruption of operational work flow. Sorting out among team members through discussions and one to one conversations is performed by HR.
As the time is changing, there are many new concerns coming in to picture. Keeping up with the trends is crucial for successful management of resources and organization. The HR consultancies effectively address such scenarios and helps companies towards the same. It becomes an effective approach for managing such concerns with ease.
With overall changes in the economic and business contours the role of Human Resource is also rapidly evolving with market dynamics. The market trends tend to influence the processes of HR significantly wherein the demand and supply, available skill sets, compensation parameters, strategies for adoption are crucially defined by the market. Therefore, it is crucial to involve the HR in strategy planning so as to maintain workforce related matters in line with business needs and vice versa. With constant changes in the market the role of HR consultants becomes imperative to suggest candidates that can partner in growth.
At GlobalHunt, we understand the need of the hour where businesses are required to align their operations with its People calibre and potential. Hence, GlobalHunt India Pvt Ltd as a leading HR Consulting organization has been playing an instrumental role in building diversity for its clients by providing the Talent that is best suited for their growth. Our team of consultants work as a subject matter experts where they understand the values and culture of clients but also define the qualities of an ideal candidate which he or she must possess to fit the business role.
Our search consultants understands that HR domain is no longer existing in an exclusive space which is implicating traditional role of payroll management, employee engagement and culture, on-boarding and paperwork. Rather, in contemporary times HR experts are included in the business strategy meets to discuss and develop products and services that can gain consumer attention.
The HR domain largely revolves around PEOPLE where people behaviour holds an important place. The new workforce culture focuses more on building an overall employees and consumer brand which caters the demand of consumers and is known for employee’s satisfaction. Thus, these days the HR process is becoming a two way process where behaviour management of both employees and consumers is becoming important. Our consultants work towards forwarding the brand values to the new candidates for better results.
Cyber security has been a key concern influencing market dynamics. Consumers are concerned over trusting brands in terms of personal data while choosing the services. Brands have been investing heavily towards protecting consumer data in order to strengthen customer base and attract fresh ones. While this is the outside scenario, similar issues concern within the organization as well. HR consultants need to advice and guide employees towards understanding cyber attacks and data thefts and educate them to protect sensitive information which might affect business goals if in wrong hands.
Understanding market dynamics with respect to talent availability is essential for the recruitment process. One of the important situation at hand for most brands is that generation x or baby boomers are on the stage of retirement in the coming years. Hence the millennial generation need to take over across managerial and leadership roles. HR consultants need to understand the market conditions and propose candidates who can take over the reins after proper knowledge sharing and guidance. Similarly, new technologies are coming up quite frequently. Hiring professionals who can adapt to such changes and deliver accordingly is crucial for business growth and crisis management. There are other factors like problem solving abilities, creativity, team work and soft skills to look in to as well.