There has been a lot of discussion around company branding in recent times. Experts and professionals have talked about company’s brand image in the market and industry which has been established to contribute significantly towards revenue generation, employment opportunities, reaching out to customers, attracting fresh consumer base, attracting candidate profiles and so on. But there is another element that has gained momentum in recent times which is known as the talent branding. This becomes significant when a company enters the recruitment phase. Talent branding essentially refers to the opinions and viewpoints of current and previous employees of an organization. The most common source of information for this segment is the online forums and portals wherein individuals share their experience at the time of employment with a particular brand. Even the candidates who have appeared for interview and selection process for a company are important source of talent branding. While it is a cumulative effort of the organization towards building up of talent brand, the HR and the marketing segment have the major responsibility towards this initiative. The importance of talent branding is as follows: –
- Today every company is looking out for top notch professionals who can add to the skill set enhancement of the organization. With technology rapidly evolving at a very fast pace, the need for experienced professionals for operational and production processes become very important. But in most cases it is found that these top notch professionals are passive candidates who are not looking out for employment opportunities proactively. If a company has a strong talent branding back up then it is possible to engage these professionals in the selection process.
- Talent branding is a major contributor towards retention of the existing workforce. When the new recruitments are made, the individuals perform a certain level of research on the company through online forums. The talent branding helps in creating a positive image in front of the candidate. So after the selection process, such individuals have better chances of staying with the company than others. It helps in reducing any potential mismatch on expectation from the employer as well as the employee end.
- Talent branding has been known to generate better referrals from the employees and external sources. The normal psychology is that when employees are happy to work in an environment that is motivating and productive at the same time, they spread the word in their network. Mostly the social media platforms are the popular places where they share their experience. This brings in relevant profiles at the time of recruitment which is in line with the company culture. Talent branding adds to the cause in a productive way.
- Lastly, it is a mechanism that helps in controlling the reputation of the brand in a more structured manner. It is obvious that a company cannot have 100% positive reviews. The terminated employees tend to post negative feedback about the brand. If the company has strong talent branding mechanism, this situation can be handled with ease.
HR management is an important segment of any business. It looks after a number of areas which aids in smooth functioning of the system as a whole. Looking in to the hiring of new employees, salary related issues and concerns, leave counts and timings form the integral part of HR management. But with the change of time, there are many other concerns which are also becoming a part of it. This has resulted in a new discussion forum among the associated people. We list down a few which are among the significant of all.
- Maintaining a healthy work environment is very important for the proper business functioning. This includes the behavioral aspect as well. Mistreatment of employees from an individual and infringement of rules and regulations forms a critical issue from HR perspective. Dealing with such a scenario is both tricky and sensitive. In such cases, a thorough investigation has to be performed of the entire incident or series of incidents at first. Based on the investigation, the next sequence of actions is to be performed like, listening to the guilty individual and taking actions based on the same which may be verbal warning, written warning, suspension or termination depending on the severity of the issue.
- Personality development and management is performed as a training course in many companies now days. In some cases, it has been noticed that the attitude of an individual sometimes affects the mindset of the entire team. This is a very delicate matter as it might be the case that the individual himself or herself does not understand the situation. In such cases, HR management has to approach the employee through discussions to make him or her aware on the issue. Furthermore, the trainings and sessions can be held to address the subject.
- Whistle Blowing Policy is currently one of important aspects of HR. A person who reports any activity which is harmful for the organization, its image, employees or is illegal in some form is known as a whistle blower. The activities reported under this policy are related to legal issues, misconduct, theft of company resources and such like. The confidentiality and retaliation are the key aspects of whistle blowing policy. In most cases the identity of the reporting person is kept discreet in order to protect them against any harm. However in certain cases this cannot be done for the investigation purpose. The HR segment plays a key role towards successful implementation and maintenance of the policy.
- Conflicts within teams results in disruption of operational work flow. Sorting out among team members through discussions and one to one conversations is performed by HR.
As the time is changing, there are many new concerns coming in to picture. Keeping up with the trends is crucial for successful management of resources and organization. The HR consultancies effectively address such scenarios and helps companies towards the same. It becomes an effective approach for managing such concerns with ease.
Dressing creates a strong impression for individuals in the corporate environment. However many are unaware about the business style of dressing in recent times. There are a lot of options available in the fashion segment. Moreover, the world has moved over the strict business attire definition. It is more on the side of business casuals. There are a lot of options trending in the market for both men and women which can be played around with for assembling a sophisticated yet trendy outfit.
- In case of dressing, undoubtedly women have a lot of options to play around with. For the bottom wear, pencil skirts and formal yet classy trousers can be a good option. It can be paired with various semi casual shirts and tops which go well with the bottom wear. The choice of color should be pastel shades. They are safest yet stylish options to choose. Indian wear are also considered business outfits. Sarees and salwar suits are best fit to this category. The pattern should be simple and color should be sober. In case of sarees, it should be pleated at the shoulder for formal wear.
- If you want to add a touch of style to your outfit, opt for a jacket with a smart collar. It gives you look a perfect edge to stand out. It should be in contrast to the shirt color to make a difference. You can buy certain standard colors such as black, blue and beige that goes well almost any other contrast color.
- The shoes or sandals should be leather with medium to low heels. Avoid wearing too much of heel as is problematic at times. Remember, you are going to stay long hours at office and too much heels may be painful at times.
- Always carry a trendy and classy purse instead of a backpack.
- The makeup should be minimalistic along with trimmed nails and a neat hairstyle.
- Too much accessory may ruin your look. If you are wearing rings then restrict to one ring per finger at a time.
- The market now has many semi formal shirts that can be used as office wear. These are available in smart patterns and looks trendy and street smart at the same time. It can be opted as a preferred upper wear. In contrast to that a dark bottom wear which is also semi formal can be paired with.
- Men can also opt for a blazer to add a touch of edge to the attire as well as the looks.
- You should refrain from carrying backpacks to office. A classic leather side bag which also has the option for carrying the laptop can be chosen.
- Leather shoes are a must if you want to make an impression that lasts long.
- Refrain from any out bursting hairstyles that’s takes away the attention from your performance to that. It might impact your appraisals in the long run.
Interview is the term that brings in stress and tension no matter how much you are experienced. Be it a fresher or a professional who might have handled this situation with confidence in earlier time, still end up being stressed the day before or during the process. But amidst this entire traumatized situation you need to take care of certain aspects that are essential if you want to get hired. Apart from your skills and technical knowledge there are certain other things that are now days scrutinized by interviewers as well. Hence grooming yourself to the standard is essential if you want to be successful in the selection process. Below are some of the steps towards a proper grooming for an interview process.
- The first step towards this preparation is to get the details right. This starts off with the wardrobe. It is better to select the clothes you plan to wear for the interview a day before and get it cleaned and ironed. This avoids any last minute rush that deviate your concentration from the interview. Also in case of shoes, get them polished or cleaned as per the scenario in addition to your clothes.
- Interview process majorly consists of communication. In case of a face to face round, you are going to do a lot of talking and in order to prepare for that, you do a lot of practice. But a foul breath can damage your preparation. Chew a prominent mint before you enter the process. While it mind sound odd, but it is very handy in critical situations.
- Appearance does make a significant impact on the interviewer. So there are certain things which you need to carry in your bag for last minute touch up. Keep a comb, deodorant stick and minimal makeup items such as a kajal if necessary for last minute fix. It is better not to enter the process with an unruly hair or sweaty which happens due to the travel before the interview.
- Be careful with the attire selection. If you are revealing too much, it is better to refrain from wearing it. It might distract the interviewer as well your chances of getting the job.
- In case of fragrances, choose an option that is delicate and effective at the same time. If your cologne or perfume enters the interview room before you do, it might not a very good thing happening. The hiring professional might notice that instead of your conversation.
- Keep your accessories to the minimum. Too much flashy accessories are also distracting in nature. You want to focus on your interview. Let the employer also do that.
- Keeping the hair cut simple and sober is essential. While you enter the professional world, there are certain statements that need to be followed. But if at all you feel like getting a crazy hairstyle, make it temporary so that you can fix it within 24 hours. It helps in build your personality.
Social Media Recruitment refers to the approach of recruitment which involves social media platforms for job posting in order to attract candidates, communicating the ideal professionals and building up the talent pool. Social media platforms are the best medium of exposure as in recent times due to affordable smartphones and mobile internet facility; people are more active on such platforms than any other forums. The gaining of insight regarding the brand as well as opening is pretty common through such platforms. Hence, the prominent social media recruiting strategies that can be utilized for an effective selection process are as follows.
- First platform in our list that can be very effective towards reaching out to candidates is the use of hashtags in Twitter. But the recruitment professionals need to know the reach and popularity of certain hashtags in order to make the most of it. In order to stand out, using the city name with the job posting hashtag creates a separate as well as recognizable identity. Tools such as Hashtracking and TweetBinder can be very helpful in this front.
- The employees need to be encouraged to tweet the job openings on their profiles. This helps in reaching out to personal networks which can be effective towards finding more efficient candidates.
- Linkedin is best professional network that can be utilized for the recruitment purpose. There is a paid product available in the platform known as the LinkedIn Recruiter which influences candidate search process in a positive manner. In relation to recent account activity, there is a matching algorithm within the platform that provides the best match for the job. It can be an important tool towards social media strategy.
- Linkedin Groups is another segment or functionality that can be used for candidate locating. These groups can be the best source of networking on this platform. Company branding on this platform is very helpful in creating impression amongst these groups. It is essential to attract the right candidate profiles for better selection.
- Facebook might seem very informal social media platform to many, but it is to be remembered that it has the widest reach within every market and location. If the Facebook search feature is utilized in the right manner then it can be effective towards finding the right candidate profiles within a short period of time and even the contacted very easily and effectively through the same.
- Facebook also provides the paid advertising feature that can be used for the recruitment purpose.
Thus social media recruitment plays an important role in the hiring process. It is the medium of easy access and reach within the network. So it needs ne utilized in a structured manner for optimum benefits in the recruitment front.
The start of the topic might surprise you. When recruitment firms are talking about things to do during an interview and after the final recruitment, it is unusual to talk about the activities that are strictly off the limits during first few months of the employment within an organization. But it is as essential as the activities that need to be done. Just doing the right things will not help you to achieve success in life. You should also know certain limitations and refrain from indulging in such activities that might bring down your career prospects.
- While it might sound very traditional, but being late at work during the first few months of employment shows a negative impact on your professionalism. It might represent that you are not at all serious about your position or responsibilities. Coming to office in time and leaving on time fetches you brownie points in terms of seriousness and involvement.
- You need to understand that as you are new to the organization, the employees who will be working below the hierarchy chain under you, they are new to you as well. Showing a level of arrogance or being too much cocky about every situation may impact the performance of the team as well as you.
- Being social media active is good. But kindly refrain from talking about work related agendas on the social media platforms. This actually destroys the barrier of personal and professional front which is not a good approach.
- Keeping quite in too many occasions may reflect that either you are ignorant or not interested in discussion. Do not create that impression ever.
- Keep away from office gossips. Most of it is worthless and time consuming without any actual benefits. Also if someone talks about your involvement in such discussions to your reporting heads, it might not look good on the professional front.
- Do not be judgmental about any situation. Try to stay diplomatic and put forth your view in the same way to avoid any back lashes.
- It is better to refrain from taking up sides is discussions which might give rise to conflicts.
- Do not try to showcase yourself too much which might also negatively impact your outlook in front of other people.
- Lastly do not reveal too much about yourself especially about your personal life.
Entering in to the professional world is a big leap in an individual’s life. We all know that it is one of the most crucial steps that you take towards deciding the professional segment that you want to proceed with. It is the first step towards structuring your career in the long run. While many go on self help mode and start applying for jobs on their own. We can advise you to take a constructive step in this front that will help you to a leap in this regard and stay ahead in the competition. Taking the help of a recruitment consultancy can help you gain a forward edge from others. The corresponding benefits of the consultancy are as follows.
- The first and foremost advantage which you get when you get associated with a consultancy is that, they have a wider exposure of job opportunities available in a particular industry and location. Sometimes, there are opportunities available within the internal circles which are not advertised in the outer platforms. Your profile can end up for such exclusive positions if you get in touch with a consultancy.
- Such firms help you frame your career in a more organized manner. If you are a fresher, then it is quite likely possible that you will not have the complete picture of the labor market for a specific industry. Such firms can give you a detailed insight of the same and advise you regarding the possible career profile available within a segment.
- Randomly applying for jobs may not be a good idea if you are looking in to serious job hunting conditions. In such type of approach you will have to wait for longer period of time and the chances of profile selection is very little. With the assistance of the consultancy your profile lands up with the most effective position considerations and chances of getting an interview call increases significantly.
- Getting in partnership with a consultancy helps to build up relationships. This improves the networking of the person. If you are in need for a job on an urgent basis then this type of networking can be very fruitful towards quicker recruitment.
With so many benefits, it is also essential to remember certain factors while considering a recruitment consultancy.
- Do check for the area for expertise for such agencies. If your field is a specific with certain special skill sets then this initiative is very important towards your career growth.
- If you are associated with more than one consultancy then do remember to inform the consultancies to take your consent before submitting your profile for a position. It might happen that your CV ends up twice with the employer from two different agencies. It is not a good impression for the profile.
- If you are not very confident about your resume, then it is better to ask for assistance from these consultancies in order to stand out in the crowd.
Workforce forms the basis of foundation for a company or organization. The productivity of employee base is the source of life for any business. But managing this segment of business has become tricky with time. Be it a small employee count of 20 people or a huge workforce for an international company, employee management is required for every organization. There are certain effective ways of doing so in modern times.
- One of the primary initiatives that can be taken up for employee management is the flexibility at workplace. Small steps such as employee would be able to create their own schedule, work remotely from any location be it office or home and take up additional projects according to the ability and availability are some of the measures. In case of remote working conditions, there are certain communication apps such as Slack, Asana and Trello which contribute towards project and employee management at the same time. It should be a combination of collaboration and accountability.
- There should be transparency within the organization regarding the processes and the management. A study says that 25% employee do not trust their employer due to lack of transparency. Keeping a clear view point regarding the work processes and impact of a certain managerial decision should be put forth with clear explanation.
- Increasing efficiency through short interactive sessions and quick individual updates on daily work is a more effective approach than holding long meetings. Moreover it is also a huge waste of productive time. The more casual the approach towards reporting, the more effective the communication is. It also helps in indentifying any loopholes within the functionalities and helps in suggesting appropriate measures accordingly. All people within a team do not have the same set of abilities. So it is better to deal with individual employees in different ways.
- A strong feedback system should be in place where employee can express their views without biasness. It helps in gaining creative ideas towards improving processes and it gives the employees a chance to contribute towards the entire company as a whole.
- Building up of communities is an innovative approach towards employee management. The communities can be related to any social work such as education to rural people on weekend, tree plantation and distribution of education or medical aid and such like. It brings the employees and the management under the same roof. It can also be related to certain community work for the employees as well that involves family and friends.
- The last but not the least is giving the provision for work life balance that is very important from productivity point of view. Thanks to our technological advancement in communication segment, the employees are reachable at any point of time. But this results in a chain up to the workplace scenario which increases stress and reduces the productivity. Giving out leaves after a project ends, sticking to the fixed work hour durations and flexibility is essential to curb this issue with affectivity.
Traditional recruitment process has taken a back seat in recent times. With new trends influencing every industry across the globe, technology has advanced steadily that has impacted growth of every segment. With this the recruitment process has also remodelled itself to meet the increasing demand for candidate sourcing. It is no more about the experience and gut feeling of the hiring manager. The hiring process and candidates have been quantified with the help of certain parameters. Hence the performance of the recruiters can now be measured and evaluated based on below factors.
- The first and foremost parameter that forms the basis of the recruitment success and effectiveness is the time to hire factor. It is the time span that is taken up by a recruiter for bringing in the candidate onboard. The duration is counted from the time the job posting goes live across various platforms to the successful placement of the candidates. Organizations which have a strong talent management process usually have the lowest time to hire quotient.
- Next factor to consider is the sourcing channel. The conventional sources such as job portals and normal company database wherein candidates drop in their resume are no more sufficient to indentify talents. Recruiters need to build up their own network of talent sourcing which may include personal channels, following up with the referrals and a strong reaching out ability to the passive candidates. The third scenario is the toughest to handle as these candidates are not looking out for job change. Convincing them to the selection process and finally placing the offer is a strategic work that requires proper planning and discussion.
- Next in line is the cost of hire. It includes the compensation and other benefits that are offered to the candidate. There are a few to things to consider in this case. In case of technical professionals where the skill availability is less, it is obvious that the demand for compensation will rise. But the recruiter needs to understand the budget and work accordingly in order to retain the candidate as well as sustain the company benefit.
- Just recruitment of a resource now days are not enough to add value to the workforce. The recruiter needs to identify a resource that can adjust with the company work environment and connects with the brand so that learning and development investment of the company gets paid off.
- The ratio of the current vacancies versus positions filled for a particular time period is a good parameter for recruiter ability judgement. It can either be measured monthly or quarterly depending on the company policy.
- Offer acceptance ratio is another factor that reflects the performance of the recruiter in terms of convincing the candidate regarding the positions. It needs to be performed from the sales point of view for effective results.
- Lastly, the gender mix should be considered for performance evaluation. Workforce diversity is an important aspect of employee base for every organization and that can be looked upon through this parameter.
It is a natural tendency that when a candidate attends an interview process, he or she discusses the experience with the family, friends and personal network. While it might sound trivial to many but the brand image reaches out to these people through these candidates. Whether the candidate gets selected or not, in both cases the information passed on by them is an important source of data in terms of company branding. Social media platforms are in high tide in recent times in terms of information gathering. Consequently it has been observed in a study that 70% candidates are put off by the negative comments and experiences which impacts the recruitment process. So in order to boost up the talent sourcing process it is essential to improve candidate experience quotient.
Creating an impression is not restricted to the candidates any more. It has become both ways for the employer as well. For the company the first impression created for the candidate is the job posting that appears on various portals and job boards. While it might sound trivial but the style of writing and information conveyed through the job description in these ads is the first impression created in front of a candidate. A study suggests that 75% applicants apply for a job when they are influenced by the look and feel of the job. The second factor that plays a key role towards candidate experience is the communication channel. A constant interaction with the candidate regarding the selection process build up the trust towards the brand and brings in a lot of transparency to the process. Lastly, the interview process should be streamlined and objectified so that the candidate is not made to sit for hours without any reason.
It is not always about the professionalism attached to the process. The candidate connects more to a brand when there is an interaction which is professional yet special. Be it the interview process or the communication regarding the selection process and extending the employment opportunity, it should be undertaken with utmost care and courtesy. Instead of making the entire recruitment process all about technical stuff, a touch of casualness such as asking about the day or how did the candidate reach the office or whether he or she was able to find the address properly goes a long way in building up appositive candidate experience.
The last but definitely not the least is the feedback system. Taking only initiatives does not help the purpose. Managing a proper feedback system is essential to completely understand the candidate experience scenario. Even if the candidate is not selected, that individual can be approached for a feedback regarding the process with an assurance that his or her profile is present in the talent pool and will be considered for other relevant vacancies. Even small advice on any miss points during the interview can also be conveyed. This builds up the positive candidate experience which goes a long way.